Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (You Know, Sleeping Beauty's Castle!) - Germany

Clear back in September, when my parents and brother and sister-in-law were visiting, we met them down in the village of Hohenschwangau for a visit to Schloss Neuschwanstein and  Schloss Hohenschwangau. Whew! Those are some mouthfuls. Let me tell you how to pronounce them first. Neuschwanstein = noy-shvawn-stine. Hohenschwangau = ho-hen-shvawn-gow. Rhymes with cow. Got it? After all that hard work, I now feel the need to reward you with a picture.


Neuschwanstein Castle Germany

This is Neuschwanstein, which means new swan stone in English. It is the castle that Sleeping Beauty's castle was modeled after. It is absolutely breathtaking. I know it's overused, but the word awesome comes to mind. Built for Ludwig II of Bavaria (read more about that guy HERE) in 1882. Ultimately, it was never completed. Want to read more? Click HERE. Ludwig II, who was a little nuts it would seem, only lived in the castle for 172 days, having died in 1886. It was immediately opened for public viewing. 

Here are some shots from the castle grounds.




Neuschwanstein Castle Germany

Neuschwanstein Castle Germany

Spectacular. That little lake out there is Schwansee, or Swan Lake.


Hohenschwangau Germany

Here is the castle Hohenschwangau, Ludwig II's summer residence as a child. Not too shabby a place to summer.




Here are my children with their much missed Grammy. Or Graham, for short.




And we can't forget Uncle Rick and Aunt MaryAnn. We've missed you too! (This is the same brother that used to help me with my car! Read about him HERE! Psst... he is awesome!)

We drove down to this area of Germany from Wiesbaden, saw both castles, had dinner, and then drove back to Wiesbaden all in one day. It was one long, looooong, day.



We live up here.




And the castles are down here in Bavaria, close to the border of Austria. Kind of a far drive back and forth for one day. But to see my family? Totally worth it. In fact I would drive 10 times as far in one day just to see them for a precious minute. (Yeah, I kind of miss them. A lot.)

We bought a package called the King's Tickets that gets you into both castles. It was a great deal. You can find the website HERE. Look on the scroll on the left for the King's Tickets link.

I don't have any pictures of the inside of the castles as picture taking is a no-no. So I didn't take any pictures.




Except this one. He he he. I know, I know. But I was all alone in this room and just thought this was so beautiful and intricate. Yes, I am aware that this is evidence that I broke the rules. I am willing to risk it to show you how wonderful it is. So come and arrest me Polizei*.


Schwansee Germany

Not only are the castles beautiful, but they are surrounded by beautiful scenery. Like here on the banks of the Schwansee.



Neuschwantstein Germany

Or this gorge near Neuschwanstein that you have to cross with a metal bridge. 



Neuschwantstein Germany

Or this view north into the farmland of Bavaria. Anyway you look at it, it is an amazing corner of the world. Get out there and explore a new corner of your world! Until next time!

Tchüss,

Kelly

* I was totally kidding when I said the Polizei (German police) could come and arrest me. I would rather they actually didn't come and arrest me. And if they think that picture of the inside of the castle is evidence, it really isn't. Somehow, when I got home and scrolled through my pictures, it was just there. Perfectly centered and everything. Hmmm... I wonder how that happened? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, Matt did it!



4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! And it looks like you had amazing weather, When I went to Neuschwanstein, it was raining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be heading to Neuschwanstein next week for the first time. I always wondered what the deal was with Hohenschwangau. I knew you could get tickets to both and they're near each other, but it's not one of Ludwig's 3 castles - but, ah, his childhood home. Gotcha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these photos! Yeah, it's funny what we'll do to see family (especially those of us living far from family due to active duty military life). I think my brother is feeling regret over not making the effort to see us during our 3 hour layover in Chicago where he lives and works from home, his wife stays home with toddler niece.
    Hope you are speaking more German. I took 10 Norwegian lessons before our May trip and they are so pragmatic there, they thought it ridiculous for me to try so hard with such meager results when it's so much more efficient for them to speak their perfect English, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neuschwanstein BlogNeuschwanstein Castle - International Ticket & Travel Center blog provide Neuschwanstein Castle Tickets, Neuschwanstein Castle Tour and Neuschwanstein Munich only at Ticket-travelcenter-fuessen.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...