Friday, March 1, 2013

Tasty German Treats

Food is one of the greatest things about living in Europe. The extra 10 lbs that I carry around on account of all this food, not so great. Here are some of my favorite things this week.


I do realize that Coke isn't German. I'm not that blonde. We aren't really big Coke drinkers, but the Coke made here is made with real sugar. You really can taste the difference with no high fructose corn syrup. In fact, you have a hard time finding anything with high fructose corn syrup here. There has been a production quota placed on it in the European Union. Not for health reasons, but all for agricultural fairness between corn growers and sugar farmers. Side note - sugar in German is Zucker. 


Froop is a delicious little concoction of tart yogurt with a fruit puree similar to jam on top of it. You can mix it up, or dig through the puree to get at the yogurt only taking little bits of fruit. Zitrone or lemon is my favorite!


This is fairly standard chocolate pudding. But the difference here is that every little serving of pudding comes with some vanilla cream on the top. The cream isn't as sweet and adds a little variety to the chocolate taste. These are my kids favorite. They make Matt make special trips to the German grocery store for these little cups of heaven.


This is my crucible. This is a Hilda cookie. It is two almond flavored cookies with berry jam pressed between them and a sweet glaze. You can get them at gas stations. Since we don't live really close to any gas stations, I had to go out of my way to find one. Then I noticed they were sold at our commissary. I have eaten one almost every day now. It's becoming a problem. Oh Hilda with your sweet jam and crumbly cookie. 


This is the German version of Capri Sun. Again, made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. And they are made with less sugar. There is none of the syrupy sweetness that you get with regular juice-box variety drinks. Very thirst quenching.


This yogurt isn't German, it's from Denmark. But the Arla brand has pretty much cornered the market in Europe on milk products. This yogurt is very smooth and liquidy. You can almost drink it. It is more tart than regular yogurt. I love the flavor combinations like pear-banana and peach-raspberry. 

What would you like to try? 

2 comments:

Tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...